Pages

Recipes

1.05.2012

pumpkin and black bean chili



One thing I pride myself on is resourcefulness, especially in the kitchen.  It's like a game to be able to create something delicious out of whatever contents are in my fridge and cupboard at the time.  When it seems like I have "nothing to eat", is when I get the most creative. 

I usually buy vegetables with one or two ideas in mind of how I'll use them, and I hate throwing out food, so I do my absolute best to use them up before they go bad.  Two times last week, I ate eggs scrambled with green pepper, onion and garlic and topped with salsa.  Later in the week, I topped a meatloaf with green pepper slices, like my mom does.  I still had half of a pumpkin in my fridge, leftover from the roasted vegetable salad I made a few days earlier, along with one green pepper, a couple onions and some garlic cloves.  I was leaving for vacation in a couple days, so I definitely didn't want to buy anymore groceries.  In my cupboard was a can of black beans I had no particular plan for, a couple cans of diced tomatoes, and a medley of spices.  

On that cold winter night, I decided to attempt pumpkin and black bean chili, which I faintly remembered hearing was an actual dish, but had never tried it.  Well....it worked!  I not only had the satisfaction of eating it,  but also the satisfaction of turning my leftover misfit veggies into a real meal, a meatless, healthy, and delicious one to boot!

I'm not certain of the amounts of each spice I used, since at first I guessed, then taste-tested and adjusted along the way.  The recipe below gives estimates of what I used, but adjust/add/omit spices according to your own tastes.

roasted pumpkin


pumpkin and black bean chili (serves 2-4)

1-2 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 green pepper, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2 14-oz cans of diced tomatoes
2 cups of beef broth
3-4 tbsp chili powder
1 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp dried cilantro
2 tsp oregano
1 tsp ground coriander
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp cocoa powder
1 tbsp brown sugar
1/2 small pumpkin, roasted, peeled and roughly chopped
1 14-oz can black beans
garnishes, such as cheese or sour cream

If your pumpkin isn't already roasted, preheat oven to 400 degrees, cut into halves, and roast in the oven for 25-30 minutes.  Meanwhile, heat olive oil over low-medium heat in a Dutch oven or large saucepan.  Add onions and green pepper and cook for a few minutes until softened, stirring occasionally.  Add garlic and cook 1 minute longer.  Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes with juices, 2 cups of beef broth, and all the spices, up to and including the brown sugar.  Stir.  Bring mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer.  Let simmer for 30 minutes and stir occasionally.  Add the black beans and roasted pumpkin pieces (if you just finished roasting the pumpkin, remove peel and roughly chop before adding to the pot).  Heat through, taste and adjust spices as you want.  Serve with sour cream or shredded cheese on top and garnish with a bit more cilantro. 


No comments:

Post a Comment