Pages

Recipes

2.18.2012

shortcut bibimbap



In Korean, "bibim" means mixed or assorted mix and "bap" means cooked rice.  Traditionally, this simple dish is served in a big bowl and consists of rice with an assortment of veggies, sometimes a little meat, red pepper paste, and is topped with an egg.  It's all mixed together and eaten with a spoon.  

Bibimbap was one of the first Korean foods I tried, and after living in Korea for 2 1/2 years, it's still my favorite.  The ingredients and style vary, and it's a go-to meal that I never seem to tire of.  I re-created this quick and cheap version at home that couldn't be easier.  I usually mix in a can of tuna, and sometimes top with a fried egg.  Tofu would also be a good addition or protein substitution.  I also add in other veggies if I have them, like shredded carrot, zucchini, or bean sprouts.


shortcut bibimbap

1 cup cooked rice (use leftover rice or one individual container of pre-cooked rice)
1 can of tuna
1 small package of sprouts
gochujang (Korean red pepper paste)
sesame oil
soy sauce
rice vinegar
gim (dried seaweed) *I like the seasoned kind
sesame seeds

Warm up the rice, if it's not already, and add to a large bowl. (You'll need extra room to allow for mixing.)  Add the can of tuna, package of sprouts, and other veggies if using.  Drizzle with a little sesame oil, then add a splash or two of soy sauce and rice vinegar.  Add a dollop of gochuchang, and top with gim and sesame seeds.  Mix everything together and eat!


No comments:

Post a Comment