Pages

Recipes

2.22.2012

falafel with cucumber yogurt sauce




Mmmm....falafel!  I adapted Sean's recipe that I found here : http://allrecipes.com/recipe/seans-falafel-and-cucumber-sauce/

I used dried parsley instead of fresh and red pepper instead of cayenne, based on what I had.  I'd recommend adding everything, except the egg and bread crumbs, tasting and adjusting the spices if you want, then adding the egg and bread crumbs.  Otherwise, you have to taste it with the raw egg in the mixture or trust that the spice ratio suits you.  After that, add the egg and 1/2 cup of bread crumbs.  If the mixture is still too wet, add more bread crumbs, but you might not need the whole cup.  Just use enough bread crumbs necessary to bind the mixture together to form patties. Either way though, it tastes better after sitting in the fridge for a couple days in an airtight container, which gives the flavors a chance to meld together.  I'm not sure how long it will stay fresh in the fridge..?

So, I baked the falafel in the oven for a healthier, easier and less messy option, but the original recipe calls for frying in an inch of oil.  It's up to you, but you may have some problems with the patties falling apart in the oil, according to some feedback I've read.  I don't know what the secret is, or I'd tell you.  And I'm not gonna lie, frying kinda scares me.  In any case, even when I baked them, they kinda fell apart when I dipped them in the sauce and ate them as finger food.  Maybe too many bread crumbs?  However, the next time I made them (same batch of dough), I stuffed them in flat bread with veggies, feta cheese, and yogurt sauce and they were absolutely delish!!  The consistency was just fine and the flavor of the falafel itself was even better (since the leftovers had been sitting in the fridge for 2 or 3 days).  And c'mon, the accompaniment of lettuce, onion, tomato, and cucumber with the flat bread, feta, and yogurt sauce was multi-pleasurable to say the least.

I actually had intentions of making homemade pita bread to serve with the falafel, but when my dinner guest offered to bring over chapati bread, I didn't say no.  Pita bread is for another day.  Tortillas would work too.  Here's my recipe for homemade tortillas.

Another side note, I'd mix up the yogurt sauce first before making the patties, so it has time to chill in the fridge before you're ready to eat.


baked falafel with yogurt sauce (makes about 18 little patties, serves 2-4)

falafel:

1 (15 oz) can of chickpeas, drained and rinsed, OR 2 cups of cooked chickpeas
1 tbsp olive oil
1 tsp lemon or lime juice (I'm sure I used more than a tsp, but again, it's up to you)
1 onion, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced (I probably used more.  I love garlic!)
1/2 cup fresh parsley, finely chopped OR about 1/4 cup dried parsley
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
a  pinch of cayenne pepper OR a couple dashes of Frank's red hot sauce OR about 1/2-1 tsp red pepper (it really depends how spicy you like things)
1 tsp salt
freshly cracked black pepper to taste
1 tsp baking powder (don't alter this measurement)
1 egg
1/2 - 1 cup dry bread crumbs
Optional:  onion, tomato, cucumber, and flat bread for serving

In a large bowl, mash chickpeas into a thick, chunky paste. (Use a potato masher, or the bottom of a cup like I do.)  Add chopped onion and garlic, olive oil, lemon juice and fresh parsley if using.  Mix well.

In a small bowl, mix together the dry spices and the baking powder.  Add to the chickpeas and mix well.  Taste and adjust spices if you want.  (If you're using liquid hot sauce, don't mix it with the dried spices first.)

Next, add the egg, slightly beaten, and 1/2 cup dry bread crumbs.  (You'll probably have to use your hands at this point to combine the mixture.)  Add more bread crumbs, if necessary, to form patties.  They shouldn't be too sticky, but should hold together.  To make patties, use your hands to roll about a walnut sized glob into a ball, and slightly flatten to make mini patties.

Line a baking sheet with foil, and either spray with olive oil cooking spray or drizzle a little olive oil onto the baking sheet and spread out into a light layer.  Place the patties on the baking sheet.  If using spray, lightly spray the tops of the patties.  Otherwise, lightly coat one side of the patties with the olive oil on the baking sheet and then flip over so that both sides have some olive oil to aide crispiness.

Bake in preheated oven at about 420 degrees F 220 degrees C until tops are browned (10-20 minutes).  Flip to brown the other side.  Up the oven temp if they aren't browning.

Serve with cucumber yogurt sauce and your choice of fixins.  Let me recommend flat bread, lettuce, onion, tomato, cucumber and yogurt sauce.  Feta cheese is also a nice touch.


yogurt sauce:  (no exact measurements, just mix up however much you want, and to taste.  You can find something to eat the leftovers with!)

plain unsweetened yogurt
shredded cucumber
lemon or lime juice
fresh or dried dill weed
salt and pepper to taste

Mix everything together and chill in the fridge for at least 30 minutes before serving.

falafel patties, pre-oven

appetizer:  falafel and yogurt dipping sauce

with all the fixins



No comments:

Post a Comment